[R-sig-Debian] Upgrading R on my EEE PC netbook

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 16:33:10 CET 2011

I have been successfully been using R on my EEE PC for some while
now. Although it uses Xandros I have been able to install various
pieces of software by pretending that it was Debian etch. Johannes
was kind enough to continue providing binaries on CRAN for a while
but I think I am the only person still living in the past as CRAN
etch is currently stuck at 2.11.0 and I cannot rely on him to be my
personal IT support for ever. So I decided to go it alone despite all
the warnings against such behaviour on this list.

My plan A was to go for a mixed installation by installing from
squeeze and risk that this would update some other software and
chance it breaking something.
So I pointed my entries in sources.list at the squeeze Debian
repository and at the CRAN squeeze repository and did
sudo apt-get update
sudo -s install r-base r-base-dev
and got the following response
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
or been moved out of Incoming.

   r-base-dev: Depends: build-essential but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: gfortran but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libncurses5-dev but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libreadline-dev
               Depends: libjpeg-dev
               Depends: libpcre3-dev but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libpng12-dev but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: zlib1g-dev but it is not going to be installed
               Depends: libbz2-dev but it is not going to be installed

Now the funny thing is that if I do
which gfortran
it tells me I have gfortran on my path.

Before I move on to Plan B which is to download the sources and
compile them myself would anyone like to advise me what is going
wrong and whether this will mean that Plan B is doomed to fail before I start.

Plan C is to run one of the Debian or Ubuntu tailored EEE PC versions
off a USB stuck but I find the documentation for doing that hard to grasp.

You might find it helpful to know that more or less all I know of
Linux is gained from reading this list and that I am still at the
stage where I regard setting up a symbolic link as a major achievement.

Michael Dewey
info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
http://www.aghmed.fsnet.co.uk/home.html