[R-sig-Debian] tangential from "tkrplot does not install"

John C Nash nashjc at uottawa.ca
Sun Nov 6 19:20:23 CET 2011

>From my own experiences I can understand how the confusion on how to install comes about.
Two thoughts arise from this:

1) A couple of years ago I wondered out loud if there was a way to write a
my.install.packages() to first check if there is a debian packaging and do a

  system(sudo apt-get ...)

else the regular install.packages(). At that time I believe the issue was detecting the
debian packages, but memory may be faulty.

2) If there are tutorials around on how to do the debian packaging for r packages and
contribute to the repository. I'd be willing to do some packaging e.g., of my own and
related optimization packages.

Do either of these have reasonable possibilities of being realizable, or am I dreaming in
vivid colours?

JN