[R-sig-Debian] Debian ?Ubuntu version of latest R using synaptic in Ubuntu 10.10

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Jan 31 03:53:44 CET 2011

Le 2011-01-23 à 10:34, Ajay Ohri a écrit :

> Hey Mat
>
> sudo R works!
>
> Also I modified the etc/sources.list to include a CRAN destination instead
> of the debian instances.
>

> thanks :))
>
> only thing- i had to practically re install all packages from scratch.
>
> is there any way to avoid re-installing all packages if you are upgrading to
> a new R version in Ubuntu Linux

Ajay,

In a word: install your "individual" packages in your home directory in a non version specific directory. See the ADMINISTRATION AND MAINTENANCE OF R PACKAGES section of the CRAN Ubuntu Readme file:

	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

Vincent

> Best
>
> Ajay
> Websites-
> http://decisionstats.com
>

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM, mat <matthieu.stigler at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ajay
>>
>> Please avoid cross-posting on two lists. Continue this thread only on
>> thes-ig-debian list.
>>
>> You can't update packages from within R? Did you try to start R with sudo
>> permissions?:
>> sudo R
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> Mat
>>
>> Le 22. 01. 11 07:50, Ajay Ohri a écrit :
>>
>>> Dear List
>>>
>>> I use synaptic to download R on my Ubuntu 10.10. It seems latest version
>>> of
>>> R on Ubuntu is 2.11.1
>>>
>>> Even when I use debian.cran.r-project.org to update my packages the
>>> problem
>>> remains (latest versions on CRAN are almost always 2 updates ahead of