[R-sig-Debian] mgcv won't load

Tyler Smith tyler.smith at eku.edu
Fri Apr 22 22:57:14 CEST 2011

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:

> Hm, sounds like you may have found a bug in Depends being too loose...
>
> Just for the record, did you take r-cran-mgcv and r-cran-matrix from Debian
> or did you mix and match with direct CRAN installations?

My current working system includes mostly debian packages in
/usr/lib/R/library/ (including mgcv and Matrix), some additional debian
packages in /usr/lib/R/site-library, and 10 packages in
/usr/local/lib/R/site-library that are not in the Debian repositories.

To be honest, I'm after spending more time than I'd like this afternoon
googling, I'm a little confused as to what the current best practices
are. I decided to re-install everything, using r-cran- packages when
available, and using install.packages() from within R only when they
aren't.

> | As long as R 2.13 makes it into testing before some new conflict arises
> | on my now mixed system!
>
> Should happen in two days once the usual 'ten day minimum' is reached (and no
> important bugs are open, or build issue arose) as per
>
> 	http://qa.debian.org/excuses.php?package=r-base
>
> So all should be well.

Good news!

Thanks,