[R-sig-Debian] Request for jags package to be added to CRAN Debian/Ubuntu archives

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 16:51:03 CEST 2011

Le 18/04/2011 16:38, Michael Rutter a écrit :
> On 04/18/2011 10:14 AM, Douglas Bates wrote:
>> May I request that Dirk's package for jags be added to the CRAN
>> archives for Debian and Ubuntu?
>>
>> Installing the rjags package for R requires specific versions of jags
>> to be present on the system.  The current version of rjags requires
>> jags version 2.2.0 or later but the version on the Ubuntu archives at
>> Canonical (i.e. not the CRAN archives) is 2.1.0-2
>>
>> I can always install Dirk's package on packages.debian.org but it
>> would be handy to have a version for Ubuntu.
>>

> Doug,
>
> (As is Dirk's habit, he answers an email about the same time I am
> writing mine :).  Here it is anyway)
>
> You can find the latest version of jags (as well as coda, rjags,
> r2jags, and r2winbugs) at my Launchpad PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~marutter/+archive/rrutter
>
> To add the PPA, use:
>
> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:marutter/rrutter
>
> This PPA is now used to seed CRAN, so any package found on CRAN for
> Ubuntu first appears on this PPA, then is mirrored to CRAN 12 to 24
> hours later.
>
> My goal this summer is to make more R-related Ubuntu packages
> available via PPA.  The original plan was to keep CRAN as a location
> for the base and recommended packages with the PPA as the location for
> other packages.  This will allow for what I think are three levels of
> R 'usage' in Ubuntu.
>
> 1.  The stable approach of using the packages released by Canonical
> whenever a new version of Ubuntu is released.
>
> 2.  By adding CRAN, stable updates to R and the recommended packages
> will be available via apt/synaptic.
>
> 3.  By adding a PPA or two, you will receive alphas and betas of R as
> well as updates to some non-recommended packages (with more to come in
> the future) via apt/synaptic.
>
> Maybe we need to expand what is available on CRAN?  One thought I had
> was to get the packages listed in the "CRAN Task Views" all available
> at least via PPA.  Would those make sense on CRAN as well?
not sure I understood every thing correctly, but to me it would be
wonderful to have the full cran tasks packages available from the CRAN,
but I would be reluctant to use the PPA with unstable/dev R versions. Or
maybe then should clearly separate a PPA for R versions and one for
packages?

Thanks in any case for this nice work!!

Mat