[R-sig-Debian] degree symbol using X11 on Xubuntu 10.04

Christian Kamenik christian.kamenik at giub.unibe.ch
Mon Oct 18 15:25:24 CEST 2010

I followed your recommendations. Font-manager was very helpful. In the
end it turned out that I had to delete 'symbol.ttf' which I copied from
the windows fonts. After running 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' and
'sudo fc-cache' and reloading "font-manager", it tells me that instead
of symbol.ttf Symbol.pfb (folder
/usr/share/fonts/type1/mathml/Symbol.pfb ) is used. I can now get
plotmath to work correctly!

Many thanks, Christian

... and yes, it is counter-intuitive not to see greek letters for the
symbol font.

> On 10/15/2010 03:27 AM, Christian Kamenik wrote:
>> Michael,
>>
>> Many thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, removing
>> ttf-symbol-replacement did not solve the problem. With demo(plotmath) I
>> get an Upsilon1 instead of a ° for expression(32 *degree).
>>
>> Christian
>>

> Here is what I did to find the offending package:
>
> I used a program called font-manager to see what file was causing the
> problem.  This is for the gnome desktop, but it should work in Xbuntu.
> There may be an equivalent program for Xbuntu and Kbuntu, but I am not
> sure.
>
> If you are using maverick (10.10)
>
> > sudo apt-get install font-manager
>
> For other versions (tested it on lucid)
>
> Go here and get the appropriate deb file for your computer:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/downloads/list
>
> > sudo dpkg -i font-manager_0.5.6-1_i386.deb
>
> Then run font-manager:
>
> > font-manager
>
> A window will pop up and after a second or two, start to scan for
> fonts.  When finished, in the "Font" window, scroll down to "Symbol",
> just below "Standard Symbols".
>
> If the window in the center says "The quick brown fox..." in
> latin/normal letters, then you should be OK.  If you can read the
> window and plotmath still is not working, I don't know what the
> problem is.
>
> If the window in the center says "The quick brown fox..." in greek
> letters, then something is wrong. Click the button with a pointing
> finger just above the text box, "View font metadata".  Copy the file
> name and paste it into the "Search the contents of packages" at
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/.  Find the name of the package and remove
> it from your system.
>
> I had to do this twice, meaning I removed a package, still saw greek
> letters, but had a different file name in the meta data window.  Make
> sure you reload "font-manager" with the button in the lower right-hand
> corner.  I think this is the problem, as multiple packages have
> supplied the encoding's for the symbol font.
>
> I know this sounds counter-intuitive, as you would hope to be seeing
> greek letters for the symbol font, but I can now get plotmath to work
> correctly on all three of my machines following this procedure.  Not
> sure what other applications this will effect, but keep track of what
> you remove.  It might be the second one that is causing the problem
> and you can reinstall the first.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Michael

Oeschger Centre for Climate Change Research, Institute of Geography&  Institute of Plant Sciences
University of Bern

http://www.stomatocysts.unibe.ch/kamenik
mailto: christian.kamenik at giub.unibe.ch

Postal address: