[R-sig-Debian] degree symbol using X11 on Xubuntu 10.04

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 15 16:06:32 CEST 2010

On 10/15/2010 03:27 AM, Christian Kamenik wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Many thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately, removing
> ttf-symbol-replacement did not solve the problem. With demo(plotmath) I
> get an Upsilon1 instead of a ° for expression(32 *degree).
>
> Christian

Here is what I did to find the offending package:

I used a program called font-manager to see what file was causing the
problem.  This is for the gnome desktop, but it should work in Xbuntu.
There may be an equivalent program for Xbuntu and Kbuntu, but I am not sure.

If you are using maverick (10.10)

 > sudo apt-get install font-manager

For other versions (tested it on lucid)

Go here and get the appropriate deb file for your computer:

http://code.google.com/p/font-manager/downloads/list

 > sudo dpkg -i font-manager_0.5.6-1_i386.deb

Then run font-manager:

 > font-manager

A window will pop up and after a second or two, start to scan for fonts.
  When finished, in the "Font" window, scroll down to "Symbol", just
below "Standard Symbols".

If the window in the center says "The quick brown fox..." in
latin/normal letters, then you should be OK.  If you can read the window
and plotmath still is not working, I don't know what the problem is.

If the window in the center says "The quick brown fox..." in greek
letters, then something is wrong. Click the button with a pointing
finger just above the text box, "View font metadata".  Copy the file
name and paste it into the "Search the contents of packages" at
http://packages.ubuntu.com/.  Find the name of the package and remove it
from your system.

I had to do this twice, meaning I removed a package, still saw greek
letters, but had a different file name in the meta data window.  Make
sure you reload "font-manager" with the button in the lower right-hand
corner.  I think this is the problem, as multiple packages have supplied
the encoding's for the symbol font.

I know this sounds counter-intuitive, as you would hope to be seeing
greek letters for the symbol font, but I can now get plotmath to work
correctly on all three of my machines following this procedure.  Not
sure what other applications this will effect, but keep track of what
you remove.  It might be the second one that is causing the problem and
you can reinstall the first.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science