[R-sig-Debian] degree symbol using X11 on Xubuntu 10.04

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 15 04:07:03 CEST 2010

On 10/14/2010 02:50 AM, Christian Kamenik wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am having exactly the same problem as Andy on an Intel Mac (see below
> / https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mac/2009-May/006208.html) with
> the degree symbol. I am using R version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31) on Xubuntu
> 10.04 with Windows fonts copied from /WINDOWS/Fonts and included via
> 'sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' and 'sudo fc-cache'.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated, Christian

Christian,

I believe the solution is:

sudo apt-get remove ttf-symbol-replacement

Not sure why this package is being installed, but removing this solved
the problem.  I had a test version of Maverick in a virtual box that was
basically stock, and was able to demo(plotmath) perfectly.  I started
comparing package lists and this was the problem child.

Dr. Michael A. Rutter
School of Science
Penn State Erie, The Behrend College
Station Road