[R-SIG-Mac] degree symbol using X11 on OSX

Andy Jacobson Andy.Jacobson at noaa.gov
Tue May 26 21:33:51 CEST 2009

Howdy,

Using the scheme in plotmath, I can no longer get the degree symbol
for my on-screen plots, using X11 on OS X. I instead see an upper-case
upsilon (I think).  This is reproducible using "demo(plotmath)".   A
figure drawn with this faulty symbol produces correct postscript (i.e.
with a degree symbol) when I use dev.copy to write it to an eps file.

I'm using R version 2.8.1 Patched (2009-01-19 r47650) on an intel Mac,
fully updated OS X 10.5.7.

Help appreciated,

Andy

Addendum:  This question was posed on the R-Help list, and Prof Ripley
was kind enough to give me his thoughts on the problem.  His suggested
work-around of X11(type="Xlib") does work.  I am re-posting my

--
Andy Jacobson
andy.jacobson at noaa.gov

NOAA Earth System Research Lab