[R-sig-Debian] rjags in Ubuntu 10.04

ottorino ottorino-luca.pantani at unifi.it
Thu Nov 4 15:03:45 CET 2010

Il giorno gio, 27/05/2010 alle 10.23 +0100, Scott Brogan ha scritto:
> I've not been able to install rjags successfully in Ubuntu 10.04 :

Dear members of the list,
I'm trying to re-install the couple JAGS/rjags on my system.

> Ubuntu 10.04 (on amd64)
> GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version2.18.0)
> ESS version 5.11
> R 2.12.0

I had JAGS/rjags installed on the same system one year ago by a
colleague of mine which is not currently available for help.

At the time I had R 2.9.0 installed on ubuntu 8.04 and everything was
working as expected.

Some months ago I moved to ubuntu 10.04 and forgot to update
my /etc/apt/sources.list with lines like:

> deb http://cran.stat.unipd.it/bin/linux/ubuntu lucid/
> deb http://it.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-backports main
> restricted universe

so I was working unconsciously with R 2.9.0/rjags/JAGS until a couple of
weeks ago.

I then update sources.list and consequently moved to R 2.11 (and R
2.12), upgraded all the libraries.
I did not worked with JAGS/rjags for a while, but I did not noticed any
problem.

Yesterday I went back to a project where I need JAGS/rjags and my
problems started.

JAGS seems to work, since from the terminal I can get

> ottorino at ottorino-amd:~$ jags
> Welcome to JAGS 1.0.4 on Thu Nov  4 14:29:14 2010
> JAGS is free software and comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> .

>From the terminal

sudo R

and from within R

install.packages("rjags")
results in

configure: error: "Cannot load JAGS library in /usr/local/lib"
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘rjags’
* removing ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rjags’

I get the same error on

install.packages("rjags", configure.args="
--with-jags-lib=/usr/local/lib/JAGS
--with-jags-modules=/usr/local/lib/JAGS/modules")

and on

install.packages("rjags", configure.args="
--with-jags-lib=/usr/local/lib64/JAGS
--with-jags-modules=/usr/local/lib64/JAGS/modules")

I've googled around and tried the directions written here

http://yusung.blogspot.com/2009/01/install-jags-and-rjags-in-fedora.html

and here

http://quote.ucsd.edu/blogs/rogblog/2008/11/09/installing-rjags-on-64-bit-debian-etch/

but without success.

Any hint ?

--
Ottorino-Luca Pantani, Università di Firenze
Dip.to di Scienze delle Produzioni Vegetali,