[R-sig-Debian] Trying to upgrade from R 2.7.1

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Fri May 28 19:18:20 CEST 2010

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Michael Friendly <friendly at yorku.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> [Running debian stable]
>>>
>>> I followed the instructions at http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian,
>>> adding
>>> deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/
>>> to /etc/apt/sources.list.  But apt-get still leaves me with R 2.7.1.
>>>
>>> How can I diagnose what's wrong or correct this?
>>>

> Sorry, got  a premature send.
>
> if you go to the website you refer to, you see it does have
> r-base-core and all the other stuff with the new R.
>
> They are there, why aren't you getting them? I *suspect* it is because
> the packages have been renamed.  It appears to me your system has
> "r-core" but not "r-base-core" so the update finds nothing.
>
> Here's what I'd do. Remove the existing R installation entirely.
> Probably easiest to do with synaptic.  Then reload the package
> database and install r-base-core.  As long as you can hit one of the
> correct packages, all will be well because the apt system finds the
> required companions.
>
> But, then again, I'm just guessing :)

No, that's not the problem: I *do* have r-base and r-base-core
installed, but nothing of r-core*

% aptitude search '^r-base*'
i   r-base                                     - GNU R statistical
computation and graphics system
i   r-base-core                                - GNU R core of
statistical computation and graphics sy
p   r-base-core-dbg                            - GNU R debug symbols for
statistical comp. language an
p   r-base-core-ra                             - 'ra' variant of GNU R
core of statistical computing l
i   r-base-dev                                 - GNU R installation of
auxiliary GNU R packages
p   r-base-html                                - GNU R html docs for
statistical computing system func
i A r-base-latex                               - GNU R LaTeX docs for
statistical computing system fun
 % aptitude search '^r-core*'

I'm reluctant to remove my prior R 2.7.1 (because I'm not sure what it
will take with it)
but will do so if this is the only way.

I still don't understand why apt/aptitude/ and friends don't see
anything more recent than
R 2.7.1, given that

deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian/ lenny-cran/

is an active repository.

Michael Friendly     Email: friendly at yorku.ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.
York University      Voice: 416 736-5115 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
4700 Keele Street    http://datavis.ca
Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA