[R-sig-Debian] Trying to upgrade from R 2.7.1

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu May 27 18:28:38 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Michael Friendly <friendly at yorku.ca> wrote:
>> [Running debian stable]
>>
>> I followed the instructions at http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian,
>> adding
>> deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian lenny-cran/
>> to /etc/apt/sources.list.  But apt-get still leaves me with R 2.7.1.
>>
>> How can I diagnose what's wrong or correct this?
>>

> Hi, Michael.
>
> I don't do Debian, but I have Ubuntu and know a bit about packaging problems.
>
> I believe the problem is this.  If you go to

Sorry, got  a premature send.

if you go to the website you refer to, you see it does have
r-base-core and all the other stuff with the new R.

They are there, why aren't you getting them? I *suspect* it is because
the packages have been renamed.  It appears to me your system has
"r-core" but not "r-base-core" so the update finds nothing.

Here's what I'd do. Remove the existing R installation entirely.
Probably easiest to do with synaptic.  Then reload the package
database and install r-base-core.  As long as you can hit one of the
correct packages, all will be well because the apt system finds the
required companions.

But, then again, I'm just guessing :)

pj

--