[R-sig-Debian] gedit with .r and .R

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 01:56:05 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 7:10 AM, Matthieu Stigler
<matthieu.stigler at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would like to recomment Gnome's editor: GEdit. It has some really nice
>> Plugins, for LaTeX, Python etc. It also has Rgedit among other goodies. Go
>> and check: http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/Plugins
>>
>> Good luck! And: Hello to Debian! :-)
>>
>> PM

I'm convinced Emacs with ESS is the only realistic option for me, but
I was curious about the posts here about gedit.

I downloaded the plugin and installed  it in gedit. I'm able to send
lines from the text file to the R session, no problem.  But I don't
get any color coding of the input file, which is  a downer.

Worst of all, now every single file I open with gedit is treated as an
R file, and so a the gedit R terminal pops up when I open shell
scripts and such.

In conclusion, yes, I did, and no, just use Emacs with ESS.  That's
what the cool guys use. Like me :)

>--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science