[R-sig-Debian] Re : Playwith on Mint

denis brion dbrion1 at yahoo.fr
Tue Mar 23 16:42:57 CET 2010

Playwith does not only need cairoDevice, but Rgtk2 (the lowest in the recursion) which does not need any further R packages, but has many _system_ dependencies
and R "install.packages" can only cope ... with _R_ packages...

"SystemRequirements: 	Cairo (>= 1.0.0), ATK (>= 1.10.0), Pango (>= 1.10.0), GTK+ (>= 2.8.0), GLib (>= 2.8.0)"

If you really want to build playwith by compiling from source (this is slower and more complicated than downloading *binary* packages), these system dependencies should be first satisfied, and the header files should be provided (they are often missing, as there are few advantages in having sources compiled in temporary directories: the libraries (lib*.so) are present and can be found (find /usr -iname libgtk*so* will find a lot of them), but not the headers (canonically in /usr/include/*.h "find /usr -iname *gtk*h" )) :

libgladeui-dev is likely to bring most of the dev packages one needs in such configuration (apt-get is recursive, and it will automagically bring libgtk2*.0-dev, libatk2*-dev, libcairo*-dev, libglib*-dev)... I tried it sometimes.... but it is slow.... and not always satisfying (prepackaged R binaries are carefully tested).

May be it is enough. But it would be *really* faster and perhaps safer to use prepackaged binaries (and, if you want to build from source, you should perhaps start with not such a huge chain of system dependencies).