[R-sig-Debian] "Graphics history" in UNIX

Scotti Roberto roberto.scotti at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 22:39:28 CEST 2010

Il 21/06/2010 11:12, Liviu Andronic ha scritto:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Liviu Andronic<landronimirc at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> One way to work-around is to run plot commands from within playwith().
>> (It is also possible to set playwith as a plotting device via
>> autoplay(TRUE), but there seems to be no history between sessions;
>> this might be a reasonable feature request.)
> A quick follow-up on this. I went ahead and filed the request and the
> author has fixed this. Now playwith() features wihthin session,
> bash-like history management [1]. It also works fine with autoplay(T).
> This means that one can readily have a "Graphics history" in UNIX.
>
> Regards
> Liviu
>
> [1] http://code.google.com/p/playwith/issues/detail?id=57

Thanks for caring. With this last fix playwith() could be an optimal
substitution of the Windows "register" graphics tool.
Unfortunately the practical side is quite hard and, up now, unsuccessful.
It takes hours to understand that 'pkg-config' is a system library, not
an R-package,
that installed GTK components are insufficient, you have to guess which
one of the 33 to-be-installed libgtk2 libraries are required
and then finally compilation an linkage start progressing when you
discover that 'cairoDevice()', this time an R component (??), has to be
installed by its self but ... here I am stuck, see error below:  two
members of DevDesc appear as missing!!
Do you have any suggestion on how to proceed?
Tanks again, Roberto

* installing *source* package ‘cairoDevice’ ...
checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs
gcc -std=gnu99 -I/usr/share/R/include -pthread -D_REENTRANT
-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0
-I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
-I/usr/include/gio-unix-2.0/ -I/usr/include/glib-2.0
-I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1
-I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/directfb
-I/usr/include/libpng12   -g     -fpic  -g -O2 -c cairoDevice.c -o
cairoDevice.o
cairoDevice.c: In function ‘configureCairoDevice’:
cairoDevice.c:1227: error: ‘DevDesc’ has no member named ‘raster’
cairoDevice.c:1228: error: ‘DevDesc’ has no member named ‘cap’
make: *** [cairoDevice.o] Errore 1
ERROR: compilation failed for package ‘cairoDevice’
* removing ‘/home/rs/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.10/cairoDevice’