[R-sig-Debian] Help for sources.list

denis brion dbrion1 at yahoo.fr
Tue Jun 8 14:57:35 CEST 2010

Guten Tag, Johannes;

First, thanks for confirming me that lines can be commented (I hope the comment sign is "#" : I really do not know...);

therefore, a less bad idea might be to give a :

-------------------------------
- first line like this
# please adapt and uncomment the following lines

- a second line like this
# to get fastly new packages you should choose (and modify from the example)  a mirror near you, ex, if you are in France, near Toulouse:

- a 3rd line like this

# deb http://cran.cict.fr___please__adapt__/bin/linux/debian lenny Uncomment and correct this line only if you are in France
Note the url is broken and people are obliged to adapt!!!
(it was the way xorg was configured, by uncommenting, but there was no need to limit servers loads)

# if one is very kind , same thing with an {unusable as is } Austrian or .... url

In fact, explaining that the mirror must be near the user (and therefore one cannot make a general howto one tries to cut n paste) could help people to find a favorite mirror (most do not have) ...

FYI : I carefully tried to avoid centuries of confusion (since 1996), linked with boring details (this can be very frustrating) , by
compiling from source (avoids a stage of extra complexity)
and explaining howto s should neither be ambiguous, nor ironical (else people get very frustrated and **never** will have a favorite mirror)...

Have nice days...