[R-sig-Debian] R and multi cpu ATLAS

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 2 22:27:48 CEST 2010

Dirk suggested I move this thread over here.  I am trying to get a
multithreaded (multi CPU) version of ATLAS working with R, and have
been unable, thus far, to get it working.  Has anyone gotten an
multithreaded version of ATLAS working on Debian (64 bit)?  I've tried
this:

apt-get source atlas -t unstable
cd atlas-3.8.3
DEFAULTS=n fakeroot debian/rules custom

but it is APPEARING to only install a single threaded version of
ATLAS.  Running the test:

a = matrix(rnorm(5000*5000), 5000, 5000)
b = matrix(rnorm(5000*5000), 5000, 5000)
c = a%*%b

only shows a spike on a single CPU.

Thanks to Dirk, I can confirm R is using the ATLAS I have
configured/compiled/installed above, so that (I don't think) is the
issue.

--j

P.S. I also have an email in with the ATLAS maintainers to see if they
have some insight as well, but I figured I'd cast a wider net.