[R-sig-Debian] "Graphics history" in UNIX

Vincent Goulet Vincent.Goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jul 9 16:57:06 CEST 2010

Scotti,

Building packages from source is a difficult thing on Windows, but it is trivial on Linux in general and on Debian in particular. (Ok, but for a few "complicated" packages.) As stated in the Ubuntu README on CRAN, installing the r-base-dev package will install all the standard tools you need tom compile R packages. Then, a simple

install.packages("foo")

at the command line will fetch the sources of foo on CRAN, compile the package and install it. It's all completly transparent and no more complicated than installing on Windows, IMO.

Vincent