[R-sig-Debian] stable, testing, and backports

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Jan 30 19:09:31 CET 2010

[ Missed this folder for a few days. Too much mail... ]

On 25 January 2010 at 23:25, Ross Boylan wrote:
| The cran2deb archives target testing.
| I just pulled a package from them onto a stable system; the library
| loaded but said
| > library(akima)
| Warning message:
| package 'akima' was built under R version 2.10.0

Because R changed documentation formats and we needed to rebuild all of
cran2deb post R 2.10.0.

| Are this and other packages likely to work correctly with different R's
| (2.7 in the case of stable)?

You are missing out on R 2.10.1 provided for stable thanks to Johannes (along
with Vincent and Michael).  See http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian
and Section 2.6 of the R FAQ.

| How well are they likely to work with a backported R?  The R version
| would then match, but I assume some of the associated libraries might be
| off.

Well if you need stable, you need stable and you can't run testing.  Round
hole, square peg.  I have relied on testing for what must be a decade and a
half...  YMMV as they say.

| Ross Boylan
|
| P.S. I see the mspath package I just uploaded is already in cran2deb.
| Cool, and thanks to Dirk, Charles Blundell, Google, and others who made
| this possible.

Google has nothing more to do with it besides sponsoring the inital batch of
work by Charles during 2008 as part of GSoC.  Since then its just Charles and
myself tinkering, extending and running it with hosting and cpu resources
kindly provided by CRAN.

But yes, cran2deb is mighty cool.  New packages in essentially real-time.
That works well with the CRANberries updates you may want to add to your
friendly RSS reader via http://dirk.eddelbuette.com/cranberries/