[R-sig-Debian] Installation woes for rattle (and other packages)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Feb 3 20:24:10 CET 2010

On 3 February 2010 at 14:02, Prof. John C Nash wrote:
| Thanks to both Dirk and Paul for suggestions. Afraid I forgot to mention that my source of
| "inspiration" was the rattle page
| http://datamining.togaware.com/survivor/Install_GNU_Linux.html
|
| where the implication (am I reading incorrectly?) is that Ubuntu and Debian would both
| "work". Truthfully, it does not surprise me at all that they don't. I was playing devil's
| advocate and taking things at face value.

You are shooting a messenger here.  It "works" if you know what you are doing
and know how to install, say, missing -dev packages as Paul suggested.

| Also note that my errors were generated in debian stable. I thought of using testing, but
| figure the people I advise (in government) will not use a rapidly changing version. It's a
| stretch to get them off that other OS. I'll try Karmic, which has been stated to "work".

That is orthogonal to both of your fundamental mistakes, and this mail does
nothing in terms of indicating whether you know where you went wrong and how
you would go about it in order to fix it.