[R-sig-Debian] accessing the Windows side from Debian

denis brion dbrion1 at yahoo.fr
Tue Feb 2 19:58:17 CET 2010

To add to this explanation, you need to know where are and which is the name of your windows partitions; there are many solutions I forget ("mount -l" seems to work) and I -now- tried as root (sudo must work) the following:
/sbin/fdisk -l

The name of each portion of the disk(s), whether it is mounted or not, can be read, and, according to its size and its nature, you can find out which is your windows partition:
the following (between ---) shows what can be obtained :
[tttents]# /sbin/fdisk -l

Disque /dev/sda: 80.0 Go, 80000000000 octets
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders
Unités = cylindres de 16065 * 512 = 8225280 octets

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système
/dev/sda1   *           1          12       96358+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2              13         266     2040255   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3             267        3074    22555260   83  Linux
/dev/sda4            3075        9726    53432190    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            3075        4042     7775428+  83  Linux

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système
/dev/sdb1   *           1        6099    48990186    b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2            6100       14593    68228055    5  Extended
/dev/sdb5            6100       11906    46644696   83  Linux
/dev/sdb6           11907       14593    21583296    7  HPFS/NTFS

Périphérique Amorce    Début         Fin      Blocs    Id  Système
/dev/sdc1   *          51       98740     7895104    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)

--------------------------------------

/dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdc1 are FAT partitions, and might be Windows sdc1 is tiny -8 Go, from their blocs size-, sdb1 is bigger ca 50G, from the number of blocs ;

/dev/sdb6 IS *most* likely a windows partition (NTFS); if debian can read and write ntfs ( recent scientific linux can but some other linuxen cannot), one can give it the name one wants (
"mkdir /full_path_the_name_I_want")
 and mount it
All these commands are done as root, and one should be very comfortable, not to make any typo, and read their manual before("man fdisk && man mkdir && make mount"  until one is sure).
Very sorry for my not knowing debian's ntfs-3g support, but I use the disk detections on many linux families;
Of course, you should not try this, for the first time, with (m)any external disks!!
Have a nice night
denis
dbrion1 at yahoo.fr