[R-sig-Debian] cran2deb and Debian on cran

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Wed Dec 15 20:25:08 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010, um 19:37:33 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 14 December 2010 at 14:55, Ross Boylan wrote:
> | What is the relation between the cran2deb repository,
> | http://debian.cran.r-project.org/, and the debian repositories at CRAN,
> | http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/?  I've studied the pages and
> | this list, but am unsure I've got it right.
>
> There is none, really, apart from the fact that both are concerned with
> getting R software onto Debian systems.
>
> | My understanding is that cran2deb had almost all packages, targets
> | testing, and currently is only supported for i386.
>
> And is currently not operating while a redesign/rewrite takes place.
>
> Hth, Dirk
>
> | It appears the debian repo at CRAN provides backports of the core Debian
> | packages (which include R as well as R packages) only, for i386 and
> | amd64.
> |
> | And then there's Debian backports, which should be ignored for R?
> |
> | Is that right?

There are currently no R related packages in the official Debian backport
archive. However, if a developer would be willing to take care of them, this
would not be a hard job in my opinion, given the excellent upstream work and
Dirks excellent package maintenance work. Maybe even packages from unstable
could be uploaded (without "loosing" the time until migration to testing).

I tried to make my debs in a similar way the Debian backports team does
theirs, but I also think that it would be an advantage to have one less extra
repository on the net.

Kind regards,

Johannes