[R-sig-Debian] Change in Ubuntu support policy

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Thu Sep 17 14:27:23 CEST 2009

Due to the increasing difficulty to maintain R backports for a three
year old Ubuntu release, we are immediately dropping support for
Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake". It also appears that few, if any, people
were expecting an up-to-date version of R for Dapper on the desktop.

So far, our policy was to support all Ubuntu releases until their
official end of life date. For Long Term Support (LTS) releases like
Dapper and Hardy, this meant a five years commitment when R changes
about every six months. We are now changing the policy to support all
regular releases as before, but only the latest LTS release.
Therefore, as of today, the officially supported releases are Jaunty
Jakelope (9.04), Intrepid Ibex (8.10) and Hardy Heron (8.04).

We hope this will not cause major inconvenience to any useR on Ubuntu.

The Debian R packages (on which the Ubuntu ones are based) are
maintained by Dirk Eddelbuettel and Doug Bates. The Ubuntu packages
are compiled for amd64 by Michael Rutter and I maintain the i386 builds.

Vincent Goulet, Full Professor
École d'actuariat
Université Laval, Québec
vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca   http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca