[R-sig-Debian] Rattle - libglade not found

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 30 15:23:39 CET 2009

Graham,

The instructions for adding the CRAN repositories are here:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

But let me expand on them a little.  This is assuming you have sudo
rights.  If you do not, forward this email to your administrator.

In a terminal, enter

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

At the very end of this file, add the following two lines:

## CRAN

deb http://cran.ms.unimelb.edu.au/bin/linux/ubuntu <http://%3Cmy.favorite.cran.mirror%3E/bin/linux/ubuntu> jaunty/

Save and close the editor.  Then in the terminal run these lines:

gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv-key E2A11821
gpg -a --export E2A11821 | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install r-base

This will authenticate the code, remove the old R and install the newest
version.

For a program like R in which there is constant development and bug
fixes (but not many), it is a good idea to use the most recent version
from CRAN.

Michael