[R-sig-Debian] Graphics Device; locator function

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Oct 3 21:24:50 CEST 2009

On 3 October 2009 at 15:04, Judson wrote:
| Hi, haven't been here for a while, but everyone one was always so
| helpful I thought I would ask you another really basic question.
|
| I'm running R2.9.1 in Ubuntu8.04 on a netbook (maxed out on memory etc
| so I don't think that's a problem - wth it's a Dell Mini 9" with that
| lpia non-architecture you told me about).
|
| Anyway, some of the graphics functions/parameters are causing
| unresolved computation.  Wasn't sure what to do but I've noticed that
| closing the graphics device causes the R routine to stop at least.
|
| The most recent example is the locator function (but may have caused
| the same thing a day or two ago with abline
|
| I did a help lookup on "locator" and the response tells me that
| "locator is supported only on devices such as 'X11', 'windows', and
| 'quartz'".

X11 is what is what you probably have.  See

    options("device")

and

    help(options)

which shows

Options set in package grDevices:

     These will be set when package 'grDevices' (or its name space) is
     loaded if not already set.

     'device': a character string giving the name of a function, or the
          function object itself, which when called creates a new
          graphics device of the default type for that session.  The
          value of this option defaults to the normal screen device
          (e.g., 'X11', 'windows' or 'quartz') for an interactive
          session, and 'pdf' in batch use or if a screen is not
          available.  If set to the name of a device, the device is
          looked for first from the global environment (that is down
          the usual search path) and then in the 'grDevices' namespace.

          The default values in interactive and non-interactive
          sessions are configurable via environment variables
          'R_INTERACTIVE_DEVICE' and 'R_DEFAULT_DEVICE' respectively.

| My device is "R Graphics: Device 2" which gives me no way to "right
| click", etc. for Properties.

Device 2 simply is a count of your devices.

locator() is a little tricky to use, and I suspect you simply didn't
"finish". I haven't used it in a while but AFAICR you need to click on the
mouse in a particular sequence.

Dirk