[R-sig-Debian] problems with Rcmdr on R-2.10.0 with Karmic Koala

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 24 10:28:34 CET 2009

On 23 November 2009 at 19:53, Hodgess, Erin wrote:
| Hi again.
|
| Here is what I have in .libPaths()
|
| > .libPaths()
| [1] "/home/erin/R/i486-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.10"
| [2] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library"
| [3] "/usr/lib/R/site-library"
| [4] "/usr/lib/R/library"
| >

| Is the first entry throwing off the other ones, please?

That's for you to find out by running

       AP <- available.packages()

and determining what you have in AP and what you expected there. Also, if you
have multiple installations of a package, an unqualified library(foo) that
does not give the lib.path will get the first one. That could be you problem.
Or maybe it's something else, but I doubt tcl/tk is to blame.

Dirk

| Thanks,
| Erin
|

| Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
| Associate Professor
| Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
| University of Houston - Downtown
| mailto: hodgesse at uhd.edu

| |
| | By using the "update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)" statement, I got rid of the MASS error.
| |
| | I got the packages from the Berkeley CRAN repository.
| |
| | But the Rcmdr menu screen is not appearing.  I think that there may be an issue with tcltk.
|
| It's just a hunch: but by mixing packages and hand-compilation you may no
| longer use all the library path entries. So 'your' R may not see the
| libraries installed from 'our R' which use:
|
| R> .libPaths()
| [1] "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library" "/usr/lib/R/site-library"       "/usr/lib/R/library"
| R>
|
| Run available.packages() and see if you get what you were expecting. It may
| of course be something different alltogether...
|
| Hth, Dirk
|
| | Thanks,
| | Erin
| |
| |
| | Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
| | Associate Professor
| | Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
| | University of Houston - Downtown
| | mailto: hodgesse at uhd.edu
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | I don't have a machine running Karmic yet (I have learned never to
| | update a linux distribution in the middle of the semester), so I can't
| | test this easily.  At what point are you getting the MASS error?
| |
| | Also, are you using the ubuntu packages on CRAN or the ones that come
| | with Karmic in universe?
| |
| | Michael
| |
| | Hodgess, Erin wrote:
| | > Dear R Debian People:
| | >
| | > I have put this on regular R help as well, but thought that I'd try here too.
| | >
| | > I updated to R-2.10.0 on Ubuntu Karmic Koala via apt-get update, apt-get install.
| | >
| | > Then I had a problem that said that I need MASS <= R-2.9.2.  Fair enough.  Uwe Ligges was kind enough to point out that I needed to use
| | >
| | > So I did.
| | >
| | > Now the menu on Rcmdr does not appear.
| | >
| | > Just as an experiment, I downloaded the R-2.10.0.tar.gz file and installed via ./configure, make, etc. and all is well there.
| | >
| | > Any help would be much appreciated.
| | >
| | > Thanks,
| | > Sincerely,
| | > Erin
| | >

| | > Erin M. Hodgess, PhD
| | > Associate Professor
| | > Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences
| | > University of Houston - Downtown
| | > mailto: hodgesse at uhd.edu
| | >

| | > 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

| |