[R-sig-Debian] I simply cannot install R on Ubuntu. I don't know why.

Prasenjit Kapat kapatp at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:57:20 CEST 2009

On 5/15/09, Judson <judson0423 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Prasenjit: thanks.  Here's what I found.  There's only one line in
> sources.list that's not Dell-mini specific and it is
>
> deb http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/
>
> If I understand the output and asked correctly -- /etc/apt/preferences
> does not exist ("no such file or directory").

Fine. So, there is no apparent reason for r-base-core to be "pinned" at 2.6.2-2.

> r-base-core:
>   Installed: 2.6.2-2
>   Candidate: 2.6.2-2
>   Version table:
>  *** 2.6.2-2 0
>         500 http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com hardy/universe Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

As Michael noted, cmu has r-base-core_2.9.0-2hardy0_{i386,amd64}.deb.
Do the following:

$ sudo apt-get update

If you get any signature/security warning, follow the steps under
"SECURE APT" as provided here:
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu/
Then (again) run:

$ sudo apt-get update

Finally:
$ apt-cache policy r-base-core

If the candidate version is correct, do

$ sudo apt-get install r-base-core

r-base and r-recommended can be ignored for now. If nothing else, then
you can brute force the process as Michael described.

--
Prasenjit