[R-sig-Debian] I simply cannot install R on Ubuntu. I don't know why.

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Sat May 16 01:40:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Judson <judson0423 at gmail.com> wrote:

> r-base-core:
>  Installed: 2.6.2-2
>  Candidate: 2.6.2-2
>  Version table:
>  *** 2.6.2-2 0
>        500 http://dell-mini.archive.canonical.com hardy/universe Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

That is strange.  I am looking at the CMU website right now, and
r-base-core_2.9.0-2hardy0_i386.deb is in the directory.  I have a 64
bit version of hardy that uses the same mirror and it lists 2.9.0-2.
Hmmm...

I would re-run apt-get update.  If 2.9 is still not listed via
"apt-cache policy r-base-core" option one would be to change mirrors.
The other option would be to go directly to the mirror's website and
download the package manually.   You can then install the file by
double clicking on it in a file manager or by  "sudo dpkg -i
r-base-core-dbg_2.9.0-2hardy0_i386.deb".

Maybe that will do it.
Michael