[R-sig-Debian] rgl install failed...

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat May 16 15:05:53 CEST 2009

On 16 May 2009 at 14:31, Johannes Ranke wrote:
| Hi,
|
| You could try pinning your R packages like r-cran-rgl as well, if you
| want them to be compatible to your r-base from sid.
|
| Generally, I think your approach is reasonable, as long as we don't
| provide all the r-cran-* packages that Dirk maintains on CRAN.

It is perfectly reasonable, especially if one understands just the basics of
apt and the R package system.  Which is after all why we maintain packages.
If it was 'messy' why would we provide them?

And exactly what does the original poster mean by 'messy'?  The worst that
could happen is that one has package foo installed twice.  And given that
/etc/R/Renvironment has

	  R_LIBS_SITE=${R_LIBS_SITE-'/usr/local/lib/R/site-library:\
			/usr/lib/R/site-library:/usr/lib/R/library'}

one could end up with an older version in /usr/local/lib shadowing a newer
version.  But if you keep your R-installed packages current, and hence newer
versions being found first, there is little downside.

And on the upside you get e.g. a working rgl. Wasn't that the goal?

| Johannes
|
| * Petar Milin <pmilin at ff.uns.ac.rs> [090516 14:10]:
| > Thanks, again! But can that be "messy" if I start installing via apt-get
| > instead of using something like:

Nope. I fear you got that wrong.

Dirk

| > install.packages() or
| > R CMD INSTALL
| >
| > I installed via apt-get only r-base and r-base-dev, and everything else
| > via R itself.
| >
| > Best,
| > PM
| >
| > Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| >> | I am using: R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17), on Debian testing with |