[R-sig-Debian] build dependencies was Re: [R] problem with rgl package

G. Jay Kerns gkerns at ysu.edu
Fri May 8 15:44:46 CEST 2009

Johannes,

> In the Debian README, it currently says:
>
> You only need r-base-dev if you want to compile R packages yourself or other
> software depending on R (see section below on administration and maintenance).
>
> So I am thinking to add the following:
>
> "Be aware that you may also have to install additional build dependencies
> (typically -dev packages containing headers). The list r-sig-debian is a
> good place to ask if you run into problems. If you are using these
> backports from CRAN, and just want to update a package r-cran-foo that
> is part of Debian, you can get the build dependencies by
>
>    apt-get build-dep r-cran-foo"
>
> How does that sound? Improvements welcome.
>
> Johannes

> --
> Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de

What you wrote sounds better than what I wrote, and appears to capture
my original sentiment. Thanks for the polishinGood writin'.  :-)

Best,
Jay

G. Jay Kerns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Mathematics & Statistics
Youngstown State University
Youngstown, OH 44555-0002 USA
Office: 1035 Cushwa Hall
Phone: (330) 941-3310 Office (voice mail)
-3302 Department
-3170 FAX
E-mail: gkerns at ysu.edu
http://www.cc.ysu.edu/~gjkerns/