[R-sig-Debian] Running R in Ubuntu...really basic..sorry

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Thu May 7 17:01:07 CEST 2009

I would make sure that you have the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://cran.case.edu/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/

That will get you the R 9.2.0.  Then I would also run the following:

sudo apt-get install ess

That will install emacs (an editor) and some extra code for running R
(and S plus).  As long as your file has a .R extension (foo.R, for
example), you will see some R related buttons and menus.  Look up
"emacs speaks statistics" via google for more information.  Using ess
is the best way to enter and debug code, IMO.

Hope this helps,
Michael