[R-sig-Debian] How to change Rlapack by lapack (for rpy2 installation)?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sat Mar 21 16:38:04 CET 2009

On 21 March 2009 at 08:04, Agustin Lobo wrote:
| (I asked an earlier question on the rpy2 installation
| to the rpy2 list, the solution there was to
| edit the setup.py script, but this looks beyond what I can do unless
| someone tells me exactly what to modify).
| I have R 2.8.1 on 2 machines running ubuntu 8.04
| (packages R-base and R-base-dev, among others, installed using Synaptic)
| and while the installation
| of rpy2 went fine on machine1, failed on machine2 with:
| python setup.py install
| /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lRlapack
| collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
| error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
| I think that the reason is that while on machine1 I get:
| -llapack
| on machine2 I get
| -L/usr/lib/R/lib -lRlapack
| Could someone tell me (or point me to a relevant link) what should I do
| in order to reconfigure R on machine2
| so that it has the same liblapack settings than machine1 ?
| (I really don't remember having done anything different on
| machine2 for installing R, but probably I did)

I think you need to figure how you installed R and try to do the same thing
on both machines, preferably getting the R packages from CRAN.

If you have inconsistent behaviour on both machines you probably installed
different versions, or from different places, or ...   Bytes don't flip like
that by themselves.