[R-sig-Debian] How to change Rlapack by lapack (for rpy2 installation)?

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 08:04:36 CET 2009

(I asked an earlier question on the rpy2 installation
to the rpy2 list, the solution there was to
edit the setup.py script, but this looks beyond what I can do unless
someone tells me exactly what to modify).

I have R 2.8.1 on 2 machines running ubuntu 8.04
(packages R-base and R-base-dev, among others, installed using Synaptic)
and while the installation
of rpy2 went fine on machine1, failed on machine2 with:

python setup.py install
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lRlapack
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I think that the reason is that while on machine1 I get:
R CMD config LAPACK_LIBS
-llapack

on machine2 I get
R CMD config LAPACK_LIBS
-L/usr/lib/R/lib -lRlapack

Could someone tell me (or point me to a relevant link) what should I do
in order to reconfigure R on machine2
so that it has the same liblapack settings than machine1 ?
(I really don't remember having done anything different on
machine2 for installing R, but probably I did)

Thanks

Agus