[R-sig-Debian] sprof works on your Debian/Ubuntu ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jun 30 21:16:21 CEST 2009

On 30 June 2009 at 14:03, Paul Johnson wrote:
| On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Paul Johnson<pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
| > On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel<edd at debian.org> wrote:
| >>
| >> Paul,
| >

| >> Yes, rebuilding only the parts you want to profile using google-perftools is
| >> easier.
| >>
| >> Hope this helps, Dirk
| >

| Hello Dirk and others:
|
| I wonder about the small r in your notes.  What is that?

Please see e.g. http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/code/littler.html and just run
'sudo apt-get install littler' on your system to get it.

| In Ubuntu 9.04, I installed "libgoogle-perftool0" and
| "libgoogle-perftools-dev" from the Ubuntu archive.  The version of
| google perftools that Ubuntu repositories provide is  old.  The
| Version is: 0.98, but i see on their homepage it is now up to 1.3.
| (http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/)  I run into the same
| problem with either one.
|
| This happens:
|
| $ LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libprofiler.so.0.0.0" CPUPROFILE=/tmp/rprof3.log R
| Profiling timer expired

I suspect you need something like

   $ LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libprofiler.so.0.0.0"  \    # enable profiling
     CPUPROFILE=/tmp/rprof3.log R		 \    # provides a logfile
     R CMD BATCH someScriptToRun.R

as R would otherwise just sit there and wait for your input, no?

| I am in the thin air now..
|
| Hm. I just noticed I can run the same with "sudo" and it does not stop
| with "Profiling timer expired".

I believe all example I tried with google perftools worked as a regular user.

| Do you have to run this as root as well? (Same problem I encountered
| with oprofile, incidentally).

No, oprofile, if memory serves, is kernel-level so that's why root comes in.

| I can link my package with -lprofile. I suppose I could rebuild R.

You don't have to... if you're happy enough with the LD_PRELOAD trick.

| Would root access be needed to start the profile collector?

Not that I know but I may of course be missing something.

Hth, Dirk