[R-sig-Debian] sprof works on your Debian/Ubuntu ?

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 21:03:30 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM, Paul Johnson<pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel<edd at debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Paul,
>

>> Yes, rebuilding only the parts you want to profile using google-perftools is
>> easier.
>>
>> Hope this helps, Dirk

Hello Dirk and others:

I wonder about the small r in your notes.  What is that?

In Ubuntu 9.04, I installed "libgoogle-perftool0" and
"libgoogle-perftools-dev" from the Ubuntu archive.  The version of
google perftools that Ubuntu repositories provide is  old.  The
Version is: 0.98, but i see on their homepage it is now up to 1.3.
(http://code.google.com/p/google-perftools/)  I run into the same
problem with either one.

This happens:

$ LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/libprofiler.so.0.0.0" CPUPROFILE=/tmp/rprof3.log R
Profiling timer expired

I am in the thin air now..

Hm. I just noticed I can run the same with "sudo" and it does not stop
with "Profiling timer expired".

Do you have to run this as root as well? (Same problem I encountered
with oprofile, incidentally).

I can link my package with -lprofile. I suppose I could rebuild R.
Would root access be needed to start the profile collector?