[R-sig-Debian] How to have multiple versions of R on Ubuntu 8.04

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 22:18:06 CET 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Michael Rutter <mar36 at psu.edu> wrote:
> Matthieu,
>
> The problem is the lack of the npsol library on Ubuntu boxes.  Google was
> not helpful in finding an easy way to install this.  Part of the problem may
> be that you are using an older version of Ubuntu and the OpenMx group may
> not be supporting it  anymore.
>
> I would search the OpenMx forums for a possible solution, since it seems to
> only effect that package.

I've been monitoring OpenMX and I think I can answer this question.

OpenMx uses a commercial library called N-poly-solve.  That's missing
on your system, of course, since you probably did not buy it. The
OpenMx authors don't require users to buy that library, they provide a
shared library along with OpenMx source code. I've wondered why the
OpenMx folks don't use an optimizer native to R, but they don't, and
that's the way it is.   if the version of the Shared library
npolysol.la does not match the gcc version you have, then you are
"stuck" until the OpenMx folks rebuild the shared library to match the
gcc you have. I think that the CRAN rules on openness of code should
prevent the redistribution of the commercial npsolv library.

If you get the source code by joining the OpenMx beta tester program,
this will all  be more apparent to  you.

Hope This Helps.
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science