[R-sig-Debian] How to have multiple versions of R on Ubuntu 8.04

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 20:49:31 CET 2009

Hi Michael

Thanks that you looked for the error!

> The problem is the lack of the npsol library on Ubuntu boxes.  Google
> was not helpful in finding an easy way to install this.  Part of the
> problem may be that you are using an older version of Ubuntu and the
> OpenMx group may not be supporting it  anymore.
>
> I would search the OpenMx forums for a possible solution, since it
> seems to only effect that package.
It seems the solution has ben found, but is still not available:

In order to install OpenMx, you will need R version 2.9.x. R versions,
2.9.0 through 2.9.2 work fine.

Unfortunately there is a bug in 2.10.0 that prevents the use of our
automatic installer. There is a patch for this bug available from CRAN
<http://cran.r-project.org/>, but it requires you to compile R, so we
don't recommend it for most people. For now, we are recommending R
version 2.9.2 for use with OpenMx. We expect that the next version of R
will include the bug fix and at that point we will begin official
support for R 2.10.

So I think I just compile R 2.9, though I could compile 2.10 with the
patch but thought the first solution is easier...

Thanks again!