[R-sig-Debian] Problem with R on Kubuntu

john walden Jwalden at mercury.wh.whoi.edu
Wed Sep 3 20:07:32 CEST 2008

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 3 September 2008 at 13:33, john walden wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> |  I installed R on a system running Kubuntu and everything
> | seemed to work fine about a month ago.   I tried to  use R
> | this morning and received the following message:
> |
> | "error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
> | shared object file: No such file or directory"
> |
> |  I haven't been able to find a fix for this online, and was hoping
> | someone on the list had a solution (my apologies if I missed
> | an obvious solution).
>
> Which Kubuntu release ?
>
> Which R version ?
>
> What did you change ?
>
> Do you use the (K)Ubuntu repository on CRAN and its mirrors?
>
> | Thanks for your help with this.
>
> You need to give us a bit more to chew on before we can really help :)
>
> FWIW readline.so.4 is really, really ancient -- I don't even have it
> installed anymore -- so you may have an old R version hanging around.
>
> Dirk

Thanks Dirk,

  I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy). I installed R from the mirror:
http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/

  I'm not sure what I changed.  One possibility is installing Java
from Sun??  Sorry I wasn't able to give you better information. I
was hoping someone had seen this before.

Thanks,

-John