[R-sig-Debian] Problem with R on Kubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Sep 3 19:59:06 CEST 2008

On 3 September 2008 at 13:33, john walden wrote:
| Hi,
|
|  I installed R on a system running Kubuntu and everything
| seemed to work fine about a month ago.   I tried to  use R
| this morning and received the following message:
|
| "error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.4: cannot open
| shared object file: No such file or directory"
|
|  I haven't been able to find a fix for this online, and was hoping
| someone on the list had a solution (my apologies if I missed
| an obvious solution).

Which Kubuntu release ?

Which R version ?

What did you change ?

Do you use the (K)Ubuntu repository on CRAN and its mirrors?

| Thanks for your help with this.

You need to give us a bit more to chew on before we can really help :)

FWIW readline.so.4 is really, really ancient -- I don't even have it
installed anymore -- so you may have an old R version hanging around.