[R-sig-Debian] Help in R

Fritz Scholz fscholz at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 28 18:28:46 CET 2008

I have R 2.8.0 installed on Ubuntu 8.04. It seems to run fine,
except for the html help interface.

I get help OK when doing ?mean on the command line, for example,
but when I do help.start() and try to get help for mean it gives me
an error message:
Firefox can't find the file
at /tmp/RtmpwVDJYQ/.R/library/base/html/mean.html

or in a new session

Firefox can't find the file
at /tmp/RtmpJklKkT/.R/library/base/html/mean.html.

After invoking the above ?mean again on the command line
it also produces an error message

> ?mean
Error in
print.help_files_with_topic("/usr/lib/R/library/base/html/mean.html") :
  No HTML help for 'mean' is available:
corresponding file is missing

The directory /usr/lib/R/library/base/html
appears to be completely empty.

Can someone help me fix this problem? Did I miss something
during the installation of? By the way, the same problem
occurred during an earlier R 2.6.2 version.

Fritz Scholz