[R-sig-Debian] Hardy 64 bit and Package Support

Michael Rutter mar36 at psu.edu
Fri Oct 10 01:06:01 CEST 2008

Josh,

You have stumbled on the "so many R packages, no way we can turn them
all into Ubuntu packages" problem.  In general, you should be able to
compile packages with the install.packages commands.  However, some
packages utilize other libraries that are not needed by the core R
program.  In your case, it is the GDAL library.

The solution to this problem is the following line:

 > ./configure: line 1311: gdal-config: command not found

The trick is to find what Ubuntu package contains that file.  A useful
website is http://packages.ubuntu.com/.  On that page there is a "Search
the contents of packages" section, and putting in gdal-config reveals
that the needed package is libgdal1-dev.  A 'sudo apt-get install
libgdal1-dev' will download about 20 mb worth of ubuntu packages, but
you should now be able to install the rgdal package (at least I was
able).  Note, you will need to start a fresh R session to install the
rgdal package after updating hardy.

Hope this helps,
Michael