[R-sig-Debian] Hardy 64 bit and Package Support

Josh Harmsen josh.harmsen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 23:36:14 CEST 2008

Hi All,

Not a new R user, but new to R with Linux, specifically Ubuntu Hardy
Heron 8.04 64bit.

I have had success installing common packages using the typical R
interface (in Linux), but have had problems installing less common
packages like (rgdal) and (RSAGA) that are not loaded with R.  I'm
wondering if there are any tricks to these libraries that won't
install, from reading the errors it looks like I need to
add/edit/create some directories?

I get this error when I try to install (rgdal)

> install.packages()
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Warning in install.packages() :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using
'/home/josh/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.7'
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/rgdal_0.5-26.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 4430424 bytes (4.2 Mb)
opened URL
downloaded 4.2 Mb

* Installing *source* package 'rgdal' ...
gdal-config: gdal-config
./configure: line 1311: gdal-config: command not found

The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.
If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/
If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
 --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config' echo
with appropriate values for your installation.

ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgdal'
** Removing '/home/josh/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.7/rgdal'
** Restoring previous '/home/josh/R/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-library/2.7/rgdal'

The downloaded packages are in
	/tmp/RtmplzwwUl/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
In install.packages() :
  installation of package 'rgdal' had non-zero exit status
> update.packages(lib.loc = "/usr/local/lib/R/site-library")
> install.packages(rgdal)
Error in install.packages(rgdal) : object "rgdal" not found

Thanks,

Josh