[R-sig-Debian] Repository issue with R 2.8.0 in Ubuntu 8.10

Mauricio Zambrano hzambran.newsgroups at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:03:11 CET 2008

Dear List,

I'm not an expert on Linux but I have been using Ubuntu and R sice two
years ago.

I've just installed Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex (8.10, Kernel:
2.6.27-7-generic) from the scratch and then installed R, following the
instruction given on:
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README, and everything
worked fine.

However, after the installation I realized that the installed version
of R was 2.7.1-2 and not 2.8.0

In another machine where I only did an upgrade from Ubuntu 8.04 to
8.10, and I kept the 2.8.0 version of R.

If in the machine with Ubuntu 8.10 installed from the scratch I change
the R repository from:
deb http://CRAN.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu intrepid/ #(or your
favourite mirror)

to:
deb http://CRAN.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu hardy/ #(or your
favourite mirror)

I can get the 2.8 version of R but with the '2.8.0-1hardy1' version.

My questions are:

1) Can this situation (having R 2.8.0-1hardy1 in Ubuntu Intrepid ) be
a problem in the future ?.
2) The re is any problem in the mirror by which is not possible to get
an intrepid version of R 2.8.0 or I'm doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance

Mauricio

--

Linux user  #454569 -- Ubuntu user #17469