[R-sig-Debian] libRlapack.so ... : No such file or directory

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri May 30 16:56:37 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:44:34AM -0300, tyler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to install a few packages and got hung up when Matrix couldn't
> be lazy loaded. The actual error follows:
>
> > library(Matrix)
> Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
>   unable to load shared library
>          '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Matrix/libs/Matrix.so':
>   libRlapack.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'Matrix'
> >

> I googled a bit, and found some related bug reports, but I can't
> understand them. Any suggestions? Could this be related to switching to
> the optimized atlas libraries, which I did earlier in the week?

Let me guess: you mixed and matched installations from Debian and
directly from CRAN?  Everything from Debian should be fine.

Check that you don't have the Matrix library in several places.

On my testing system all is fine:

edd at ron:~$ dpkg -l r-base-core r-cran-matrix | cut -c-76
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pe
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=b
||/ Name                                                    Version
ii  r-base-core                                             2.7.0-1
ii  r-cran-matrix                                           0.999375-9-2
edd at ron:~$ r -e'library(Matrix); cat("Still here\n")'

Attaching package: 'Matrix'

        The following object(s) are masked from package:stats :

         xtabs

Still here
edd at ron:~$