[R-sig-Debian] [R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 30 09:18:34 CEST 2008

Thanks a lot, Doug and Dirk,
for 'wajig'.

I didn't know it but now plan to use it as well.

One thing though (wajig or apt-get or aptitude):

    apt-get build-dep r-base

has a bit a seemingly undesired effect on my ubuntu 8.04 system:

    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      atlas3-base-dev atlas3-headers r-base-dev refblas3-dev
      debhelper gettext html2text intltool-debian libblas-dev po-debconf
    0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 4 to remove and 83 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 3181kB of archives.
    After this operation, 28.3MB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I really don't think I'd want to remove r-base-dev and its
dependencies just because I want to get the remaining tools for
building R (r-base) from the sources.

Is there still a misunderstanding (on my side) ?
Martin