[R-sig-Debian] [R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri May 30 02:07:46 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:27:25PM -0500, Douglas Bates wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 5:10 PM, Tony Plate <tplate at acm.org> wrote:
> > [moving this to R-sig-debian]
>
> > (1) The R-wiki recommends "aptitude" over "apt-get" (saying "Debian is well
> > known for its apt-get command to install and update Debian packages. There
> > is also aptitude, which is a bit better in handling dependencies etc.")  Is
> > there any reason to prefer one over the other?
> > (http://www.pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/ ?) Is it generally OK
> > to mix usage of the two on the same system? (and synaptic too?)  Do the two
> > have the same/similar arguments and syntax?

Without taking anything away from wajig, which is a great tool, there
shouldn't be any problems using apt-get interchangeably with aptitude,
or even synaptic. All three are front-ends for the same underlying
mechanisms, as I understand it. Aptitude takes the same (more or less)
command line arguments as apt-get, and when run without arguments
provides a curses-style gui, which some prefer to synaptic.

Tyler

--
There is no theory of evolution.
Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.

http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/