[R-sig-Debian] [R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri May 30 02:19:20 CEST 2008

Hi Tony,

On 29 May 2008 at 16:10, Tony Plate wrote:
| [moving this to R-sig-debian]

Good move!  Thanks also to everybody for the follow-ups.  As wajig maintainer
and hence initial Debian user,  I fully concur with what Doug said in its
favour. Also note that wajig's author is now also a prolific R/CRAN author
and will keynote at Use R. Small world. Lastly, to add to Tyler's mail, wajig
does in fact call apt-get, aptitude, dselect, dpkg, apt-cache --- $whatever
needed -- to get the job done from _one single interface_.  Very useful.

| Dirk, thanks for this info.
|
| The r-wiki
| http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:debian
| contained some slightly different suggestions, but I
| strongly suspect your suggestions are likely to be better.
|
| So, I edited (minimally) the r-wiki to add your suggestions.

I saw that as I follow the RSS aggregator at http://planetr.stderr.org which,
among other things, sucks in changes from the R Wiki. So three cheers to you
for enhancing the wiki pages. Right approach!

| (1) added a link to
| http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ (and debian)
|   saying "look there first"
| (2) added your 3 "apt-get install/build-dep" commands
|
| I suspect more could be changed (i.e., deleting some
| unnecessarily complex advice), but first I wanted to try to
| get answers on two issues:

Agreed. I glanced at the page but was too pressed for time to fix anything.

| (1) The R-wiki recommends "aptitude" over "apt-get" (saying
| "Debian is well known for its apt-get command to install and
| update Debian packages. There is also aptitude, which is a
| bit better in handling dependencies etc.")  Is there any
| reason to prefer one over the other?

They are interchangeable. What matters is the internal representation. To
that end, even 'apt' is a layer on top of dpkg, and there are more layers.
Choice is a good thing, not unlike the gazillion different ways in which we
can get the same or similar things done in R :-)

| (http://www.pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/ ?) Is
| it generally OK to mix usage of the two on the same system?
| (and synaptic too?)  Do the two have the same/similar
| arguments and syntax?

Wajig smoothes everything. I never use aptitude directly, swore off dselect
many many years ago and mostly just use wajig.

| (2) The R-wiki page suggests commands that seem designed to
| get around problems that might have been avoided had
| 'apt-get build-deps r-base' been used (e.g., './configure
| --x-includes=/usr/include/X11' " x-includes=/usr/include/X11

Yeah, the x11 thing looks strange. I never needed that.  Note that the
principal author (Kurt) of R's configure logic works on a Debian system so
that just tends to work. GG must have tried this just when xorg stuff was
moving.

| was needed as configure script could not find header
| files.") Are these things better deleted from the Wiki page,
| or are they sometime necessary even in systems that have
| been correctly configured?

I'd remove'em or comment'em out. But some gentle testing may be best.

Cheers, Dirk