[R-sig-Debian] [R] need help for building R in Ubuntu 8.04

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Fri May 30 00:10:05 CEST 2008

[moving this to R-sig-debian]

Dirk, thanks for this info.

The r-wiki
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:debian
contained some slightly different suggestions, but I
strongly suspect your suggestions are likely to be better.

So, I edited (minimally) the r-wiki to add your suggestions.
(1) added a link to
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/ (and debian)
  saying "look there first"
(2) added your 3 "apt-get install/build-dep" commands

I suspect more could be changed (i.e., deleting some
unnecessarily complex advice), but first I wanted to try to
get answers on two issues:

(1) The R-wiki recommends "aptitude" over "apt-get" (saying
"Debian is well known for its apt-get command to install and
update Debian packages. There is also aptitude, which is a
bit better in handling dependencies etc.")  Is there any
reason to prefer one over the other?
(http://www.pthree.org/2007/08/12/aptitude-vs-apt-get/ ?) Is
it generally OK to mix usage of the two on the same system?
(and synaptic too?)  Do the two have the same/similar
arguments and syntax?

(2) The R-wiki page suggests commands that seem designed to
get around problems that might have been avoided had
'apt-get build-deps r-base' been used (e.g., './configure
--x-includes=/usr/include/X11' "–x-includes=/usr/include/X11
was needed as configure script could not find header
files.") Are these things better deleted from the Wiki page,
or are they sometime necessary even in systems that have
been correctly configured?

(And I'm happy to leave these suggestions alone too, but I
know that when I've got suggestions from Dirk re Ubuntu,
they've worked for me, and I've been able to drop the more
complex fudgy stuff.)

-- Tony Plate