[R-sig-Debian] optimized linear algebra library on Lenny

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed May 28 15:52:45 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'd like to install the optimized libraries on my Thinkpad with an Intel
Core Solo chip, which apparently supports the following instruction
sets:  MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3 instruction sets, XD-Bit.

In a recent r-help message, the following was said (by Dirk I think):

<quote>
Yes, on Ubuntu, use 'apt-get install atlas3-base' for basic tuned Atlas, or
'apt-get install atlas3-sse2' assuming that sse2 is the closest fit to the
cpu in question.
</quote>

However, while atlas3-base is available in Lenny/Testing, none of the
architecture-dependent extensions are. I did find libatlas3gf-*, is this
the same thing?

The information I found in the R Admin manual seems to apply only to
building R yourself, so I'm not sure what to do with the precompiled
version from the repository. Is it as simple as:

apt-get install libatlas3gf-sse2

And is there anything else that needs doing to tell R to use the new
libraries?

Thanks,

Tyler

--