[R-sig-Debian] Question about graphical UI running R version 2.7.0 (2008-04-22) on Ubuntu Hardy Heron...

Tobias Verbeke tobias.verbeke at gmail.com
Sun May 25 10:46:28 CEST 2008

Hi Brian,

Apologies for the late response.

>> If you want a full-fledged R IDE for Linux,
>> have a look at the StatET plugin for Eclipse:
>>
>> http://www.walware.de/goto/statet/
>>
>> Eclipse support is not tremendous for Ubuntu
>> (no recent builds to be apt-get installed),
>> so you will need to download and unpack
>> the stable release of Eclipse Classic from
>>
>> http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
>>
>> and then install from within
>> Eclipse
>>
>> Help -> Software Updates -> Find and Install...
>> Search for new features to install
>>
>> You need to use
>>
>>   http://www.walware.de/eclipseupdates
>>
>> as a (new) Eclipse update site and walk through
>> the wizard.
>>
>> To get started (launching R, configuring for Sweave etc.),
>> you can access the cheat sheets via
>>
>>   Help -> Cheat Sheets... -> StatET: R in Eclipse.
>>
>> For questions, there is a dedicated mailing
>> list at

>> I hope this is useful.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Tobias
>
> This seems interesting. I've downloaded the archive. Two questions...
>
> 1) I assume sudo file-roller will be the command to start things off. Where
> should I be pointing it at to drop the files in the right place?

Others might comment on good practice in these matters,
but FWIW I dropped them in /opt and (as root) recursively changed
ownership to myself (as normal user) in order to be able to
easily install additional plug-ins (such as StatET or subclipse
to connect to R-Forge svn repositories etc.) as a normal user.

I created a shortcut on my Gnome panel pointing to

/opt/eclipse/eclipse -vm /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin

> 2) Other than a current R install, of course, are there any other packages
> I should make sure are present on my machine so that things go as they should?

The requirements are listed at

http://www.walware.de/it/statet/installation.mframe

As far as R packages are concerned, you will need rJava to be installed.
To be complete, I use Sun's JRE (without complaints) which I obtained using

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-bin

HTH,
Tobias